Cryo FIB lift-out system
The cryo MGS-EM system meets the increasing demand for performing in-situ cryo TEM specimen lift-outs of site specific TEM lamella prepared in cryo FIBs. Kleindiek’s experience in manufacturing microgrippers for standard TEM sample preparation has resulted in this new cryo-compatible version of their microgripper that can be cooled to LN2 temperatures. The gripper is mounted to an MM3A-EM micromanipulator that has been enhanced for use with the cryo gripper using an insulated holder. The insulation allows the micromanipulator to remain at room temperature while the gripper is cooled by connecting it to the microscope's cryo-system.
Kleindiek's unique solution for cryo TEM sample preparation.
- Simple, gentle grip for retrieving lamellae
- No need for water vapour injection
- Interfacing solutions for most microscopes and cryo systems
- Fast setup and removal
- Compact construction delivers higher resonance frequencies
- Excellent stability
- Low drift (1 nm/min)
- Reliable operation (one year endurance test)
- Virtually insusceptible to vibrations
- No backlash or reversal play
- Sub-nanometer resolution (0.25 nm)
- No "blind axis" like with cartesian systems
- Integrated coarse and fine displacement in one drive
Liquid nitrogen cooled microgripper
The cryoMGS-EM is equipped with an insulator as well as a thermal coupling that connects to the microscope‘s cryo shield or cryo stage. Thus, the gripper can be cooled to LN2 temperatures while the MM3A-EM remains at room temperature. This greatly reduces the thermal load for your microscope’s cooling system. The gripper arms are manufactured from tungsten probe tips and are piezo-controlled, allowing a step size of 10 nm. Custom-shaped gripper tips are available on request.
The iLO control software provides intuitive control over the micromanipulator’s motion. By ‘talking’ to the microscope, the software is able to adjust the micro-manipulator’s speed of motion to match the given magnification. The software also provides true Cartesian motion using the microscope PC’s mouse (for X and Y motion) as well as an additional USB jog shuttle device (for Z motion). In addition, the software is equipped with a park & restore functionality and can be used to control the microgripper.
MM3A-EM three-axis micromanipulator system
The system comprises a MM3A-EM three-axis micromanipulator system for electron microscopy, a cryo-compatible microgripper, mounting kit and iLO control software. The package also includes control electronics, a joypad, a vacuum feedthrough and an operators handbook.
please click here for specifications
- Length: 62.1 mm
- Width: 20.4 mm
- Height: 25.4 mm
- Resolution A: 10-7 rad (5 nm)
Resolution B: 10-7 rad (3.5 nm)
Resolution C: < 0.5 nm
- Lowest pressure: 10-7 mbar
- Material: Stainless steel, aluminium
A = left / right B = up / down C = in / out
- Total length: 28 mm
- Tip length: 5 mm
- Height: 5 mm
- Gripping area: (5 to 10 µm)²
- Resolution: 20 nm
- Gripping force: 5 to 5000 µN (variable)
- Maximum span range: 20 to 40 µm
- Temperature range: 77 K to 353 K
- Lowest pressure: 10-7 mbar