FS-8500 Automated Freeze Substitution System
The FS8500 Freeze Substitution System is designed with safety and operator convenience in mind. With a large volume, easy access, top loading, temperature controlled substitution chamber samples are slowly and gently dehydrated in a solvent solution, after which they are embedded in resin blocks for room temperature sectioning.
Cryofixed samples, typically stored in LN2, are transferred into the FS8500 where the substitution solvent is pre-programmed to a temperature below that where secondary ice crystal growth can occur.
The FS8500 uses liquid nitrogen as a coolant to achieve a base operating temperature of –140C (133K) which is well below the ice recrystallization temperature in any biological structure. The temperature of the substitution chamber is set and regulated by the included laptop computer to an accuracy of better than +/- 0.5C over the range from -140C to +50C.
The FS8500 is a free standing, caster wheel mounted, system with a large, stainless steel worktop mounted to its 50 liter low-loss LN2 Dewar. The temperature controlled substitution chamber is conveniently located in the center of the worktop for easy access. The chamber is provided with a viewing port/cover, which is removed to gain access into the substitution workspace. As it is removed, the ventilation system is automatically turned on to extract fumes and the chamber internal illumination is turned on.
These features combine to make the FS8500 an extremely convenient to use and versatile Freeze Substitution System.
Key features and benefits
- Computer-controlled, for reliable and repeatable results
- Unlimited protocols and reports storage
- Temperature sensor to monitor reagent vials during freeze substitution
- Low-loss LN2 dewar can be refilled during a substitution run
- Chamber illuminates automatically when chamber cover removed
- Specimen agitation for efficient reagent exchange
- Cryo transfer tools for safe and convenient removal of cold sample holders
- low loss 50 litre liquid nitrogen dewar on roller base with built-in fill and vent valve
- manifold with phase separator and DP LN2 level gauge
- large, top access, loading port and freeze substitution chamber
- stainless steel work surface with ample working space
- digital microprocessor controller
- laptop computer with FS-8500 software and GUI factory installed
- LED polymerization lamp
- stereomicroscope on adjustable support stand
- universal specimen holder cup with rack
- universal polymerisation holder cup with rack
- cryo tool kit
- startup consumables kit
Dimensions: Work table: 660 mm x 660 mm, height above floor: 790 mm
Weight (empty): 55 kg
Power requirements: 220-240 VAC 50 Hz
Dewar: 50 litre LN2 capacity low-loss stainless steel, mounted on wheels
Temperature range: -140C to +50C ±0.5C