Metallographic mounts top reference holders
EM-Tec top reference holders are designed to keep all metallographic or petrographic mounts in the same plane of focus when performing SEM/EDS/WDS analysis.
Available for three sizes of commonly used mount:
- EM-Tec R2 top reference holder for two of the Ø40mm or 1-124” mounts with 2 positions for calibration stubs
- EM-Tec R4 top reference holder for four of the Ø30mm or 1-1/4” mounts with optional adapter sleeves for 25mm or 1” mounts
- EM-Tec R6 top reference holder for six of the Ø25mm or 1” mounts
The R4 and R6 top reference holders are available with a either a standard pin mount or M4 threaded hole. Made from vacuum grade aluminium with stainless steel screws.
R4 top reference holder details
EM-Tec R4 top reference holders accept up to four metallographic mounts (Ø30mm or Ø1-1/4” (32mm)) with all mounts in the same focus plane. The EM-Tec R4 top reference holder ensures the same focus conditions for the SEM and same take-off angle for the X-ray analysis system over all four mounts. It is intended for larger analytical SEMs with an SEM stage capacity of 70 x 70 x 30mm or 50 x 100 x 30mm with 90 degrees rotation.
Em-Tec R4 top reference holders consist of two parts:
- top with reference lips and clamping screws: diameter is 88mm with the four mounts within a 68 x 68mm square
- base with locking screw to clamp the top and additional screws in the base plate to push the mounts against the reference lips. Diameter of base is 96mm
Maximum mount height capacity is 20mm. If reduced height metallographic mounts or thin specimens are used, Ø32mm or Ø25mm spacer discs can be used to ensure that the mounts are pushed against the reference lips. Pushing from the base allows for small angle adjustment, if the polished surfaces of mounts are not perfectly perpendicular to the sides. Overall size of the EM-Tec R4 top reference holder is Ø96 x 25mm. An Allen key is included.
One of four position can be used to hold a Ø30mm or Ø1-1/4” (32mm) top reference standard with pure elements and/or known compounds.
The optionally available adaptor sleeve for the Ø25mm or Ø1” (25.4mm) metallographic mounts enables additional possibilities:
- 4 x Ø30mm or 1-1/4” (32mm) mounts (no adaptor sleeves needed)
- 4 x Ø25mm or 1” (25.4mm) mounts ( 4 adaptor sleeves needed)
- 4 x mixed sizes of Ø30mm/ 1-1/4” or Ø25mm/1” mounts (adaptor sleeves for Ø25mm/1” mounts needed)
R6 top reference holder details
EM-Tec R6 top reference holder accepts up to six metallographic mounts of Ø25mm or 1” with all six mounts in the same plane. It ensures the same focus conditions for the SEM and same take-off angle for the X-ray analysis system over all six mounts.
Suitable for larger analytical SEMs with a minimum SEM stage capacity of 90 x 90 x 30mm. Made from vacuum grade aluminium with stainless steel screws.
One of the six numbered positions can be used for an X-ray reference standard. The mounts are placed against the three reference lips and clamped with screws from the side.
The height of the holder is 15mm and is open at the base. Included with the holder is a 10mm height extender - this enables specimen heights of up to 24mm. The outer edge of the mounts in the holder are on a circle of 90mm to fully cover all six mounts stage movements of 90 x 90mm in X-Y or 45 x 90mm with 60 and 120 degrees rotation. Overall size of the EM-Tec R6 top reference holder is Ø98 x 25mm or Ø98 x 15mm without height extender. An Allen key is included.