PIE Scientific Tergeo and Tergeo-plus bench top plasma cleaners
Tergeo: chamber diameter (110mm)
|Tergeo-plus: large chamber diameter (160mm)|
immersion mode plus downstream plasma cleaning option for delicate specimens
pulsed-mode operation - reduces the average plasma intensity for delicate specimens
unique dual plasma strength sensor (patent pending) for optimal monitoring and process control
|0-75W and 0-150W power options|
|automatic touch-screen control using customer recipes|
Some typical applications:
* For TEM specimen and specimen rod cleaning see: Tergeo-EM
Intelligent, intuitive design...
PIE Scientific's understanding of the importance of consistency and repeatability in scientific research and small scale production runs is emboddied in the design of the Tergeo and Tergeo-plus. At the heart of both instruments are integrated multiple process control technologies to monitor and control critical parameters. These include pressure and plasma sensing (see below) and automatic mass flow control of gas input. Operation is fully automatic, with an intuitive user interface featuring a 7" touchscreen which make the operation as easy as a tablet device, with the embedded microcontroller supporting 20 customisable user recipes. The Tergeo series delivers day-in, day-out reliability and repeatable performance.
Unique, quantitative plasma sensor technology
A key advantage of the Tergeo series is integrated, patent-pending plasma sensor technology. The plasma strength is measured quantitatively and displayed in real time on the LCD touch screen controller. The operator can use the plasma strength data as feedback to adjust gas flow rates and RF power to give desired cleaning speeds – ensuring repeatable and consistent results for users with beginner or expert levels of experience.
Downstream cleaning recipe example Immersion cleaning recipe example
Immersion with downstream plasma processing option
Direct, immersion mode Indirect, downstream mode option
Immersion mode - high-speed etching
Tergeo and Tergeo Plus have the capablity of two integrated RF plasma sources in one instrument- an in-situ source plus the option of remote source (PIE013). When the plasma is generated inside the main specimen chamber, it is called immersion mode processing and specimens are subject to both energetic ion bombardment and chemical reactions with neutral radical species. Immersion mode processing is required for high-speed etching, surface modification.
Downstream mode - for delicate specimens
For specimens such as thin gate oxides, ESD sensitive devices, anti-reflective coatings, graphene, carbon nanotubes, DLC (diamond-like-carbon) and holey carbon support films for TEM, immersion mode processing may cause irreversible damage. In these cases downstream processing mode is recommended. In this mode, the plasma is generated inside a remote plasma source attached to the side of the main specimen chamber. In downstream mode only neutral lower energy radical species generated inside the remote plasma source can diffuse into the specimen and react with specimens - ensuring there is no ion sputtering damage to delicate specimens.
Pulsed operation - for gentler, damage-free processing
The plasma is ignited at a high pressure and at a low average power
Research has shown that RF plasma reaction rates can be maintained in pulsed operation, despite a lower more "specimen friendly" average power. Using pulsed operation (the Tergeo series uses 480Hz) can reduce "dust" particle formation, trenching, notching and charging. For fluorocarbon PECVD process, pulsed operation can yield rougher surface structure and thereby give greater hydrophobicity.
Tergeo and Tergeo Plus require a primary vacuum pump. The Edwards nXDS6i scroll pump is suitable for when oil-baed pumps need to be avoided (i.e. dry pumping). We also offer a standard oil-based rotary pump and a Fomblinised version for applications where high throughputs of oxygen are required. Please see Ordering Information (below) for details of pumps and accessories.
Summary of features and benefits
Chamber size - up to 6" wafer
- Tergo-plus: large specimen chamber (ID:160mm, L280mm) accommodates a 4” wafer boat and one 6” wafer.
- Tergo: regular chamber (ID:110mm, L280mm) accommodates a 4” wafer
Process modes - immersion and remote. Pulsed cleaning
- immersion plasma cleaning for high-speed etching and surface modification
- remote plasma cleaning option (PIE013) for gentle surface contamination removal, e.g. SEM/TEM specimen cleaning
- pulsed operation generates plasma with average RF power of less than 0.5W - for extremely delicate specimens
Operation modes - three modes for a flexible approach
- automatic recipe processing
- automatic job sequence processing
- manual operation
Plasma sensor - built in monitoring
- dual plasma strength sensor (patent pending). Monitors both in-situ plasma and remote plasma sources.
- plasma strengths are displayed on the LCD touch screen display in real-time
Summary of advanced process control capabilities:
- pressure sensor, temperature sensor, gas-flow rate meters in mass flow controller, dual plasma strength sensors, automatic impedance matching
Process chamber and materials - resistant to attack
- aluminium flange and thick-wall, high purity quartz tube give enhanced chemical resistance and reduction of alkali impurities (Ca, K, Na) found in Pyrex glass
- specimen holder: 2mm thick high purity quartz plate
External electrodes, two power options
- external RF electrodes and antenna design reduces metal sputtering compared with internal metal electrodes in many other plasma cleaners
- 13.56MHz high frequency RF power supply with automatic impedance matching of in-situ plasma source
- 0-75W RF power as standard and optional 0-150W - recommended with the Tergeo Plus
Process gas input - up to three channels
- two mass flow controllers (MFC) for controlled gas input (0~100sccm). A third MFC available as an option (PIE014)
- additional port for venting and purging. ¼ inch Swagelok compression fitting connectors
User interface - automatic, easy data imput
- 7” resistive touchscreen, touch with fingers, no stylus required.
- 20 customisable recipes – with up to three cleaning steps in the job sequence
Tergeo and Tergo Plus RF plasma cleaner ordering information
Tergeo tabletop RF plasma cleaner, consisting of:
Note: vacuum pump required (see Pumping Options)
Tergeo Plus tabletop RF plasma cleaner, consisting of:
Note: vacuum pump required (see Pumping Options)
The Edwards EMF10 filter captures oil mist from the outlet of pumps, which would otherwise be ejected into the atmosphere. The EMF10 mist filter is suitable for use with Edward RV3, RV5 and RV8 vacuum pumps. They are very efficient at 99.999% DOP test and are also azide proof. Supplied with a NW25 clamp, centering ring and ‘O’ ring, NW25 to 3/4 inch BSP adaptor.
Tergeo-EM optional accessories